Sunday, March 9, 2014

'MEMORABILIA' curated by Lina Vincent Sunish @ Gallery Sumukha, Bangalore (Jan - Feb 2014)




Being an individual migrated from a rural background and practicing art in multicultural, cosmopolitan surroundings has been influenced my works in general with an emphasis on the complex, multi-layered character of the urban living and the changing facets of human relationships and identity. People migrating from villages to metros for various reasons remains a larger socio-political issue in the present context considering the increasing rural-urban divide in our society. I have been addressing these uncertain, fragile characters of urban existence in my works since last few years.
When I think of my past, I still have vivid memories of my childhood and schooldays I spent in my native village. The emotional attachment I still have with my birthplace and the image of the house where I spent those years becomes the momentous element for this particular work in the show ‘Memorabilia’. Using a large imagery on canvas as a backdrop, I have made an effort to revisit my nostalgic reminiscences with a series of animated drawings which are narrative in nature and executed like clippings of an autobiography. The moving images are also an attempt to connect myself to those lived memories more emotionally, eventually making it a very personal experience of recollections.
The second part of the works is a set of drawings developed from photographic references with recollections from various phases of the last two and a half decade. The renderings done in graphite and watercolours combine imageries of specific time, situation and location along with a sort of surreal, humorous extensions of fantasy  elements.

V.G.Venugopal
Bangalore, December 2013









from left: Priti Vadakkath, VG Venugopal, Ravikumar Kashi, Lina Vincent Sunish, Mohan Kumar T, Samanta Batra Mehta, Clare Arni & Anoli Perera


No comments: